Monday, June 8, 2015

Travel Tip: Surviving A Long Haul Flight ✈️✈️

Monday I'll be heading out on my trip!! For those that are interested in knowing where I'm going and what's in my carry on check it out here :) For this trip it will be a 20+ hour flight, so flights stretching longer than 8 hours there are certain must have essentials you need in your carry on! Everyone has different priorities and needs for comfortable travel. My list can be used a reference guide or a good starting point for less-experienced travelers.

Good Seats: A definite must for a long haul flight. I always like to upgrade to Economy Comfort seats for extra leg room. Reserving your seat by the window or is always best. The window gives you the view and the isle gives you easy access to the bathroom.


Sleeping Aids:
These are good if you don't think your going to be able to sleep on your flight. I always like comfy items that promote sleep such as a neck pillow, ear plugs and an eye mask!





Stay Hydrated: It's extremely important to stay hydrated while traveling. Water is your best friend while flying because the recirculated air will dehydrate you fast.


Carry On: Make sure you have everything you need to stay entertained on the plane. Just remember anything over 100ml cannot go into your carry on.


Movement: Staying active and moving is very important because you need to keep your blood pumping around your body. Get up and walk down the isles or to the bathroom to stretch your legs. Compression socks are also nice to keep your legs from swelling .






General Items that will help make your long haul flight tolerable. 
For comfortable sleeping:
  • eye mask
  • neck pillow
  • antihistamines, or night-time cold meds (non habit forming!)



For physical comfort on board:
  • glasses
  • eye drops (keeps your eyes from feeling dry)
  • chapstick (flying also dries out your lips)
  • facial lotion (keeps your skin hydrated)
For entertainment purposes:
  • reading material 
  • iPad, iPod, computer
  • crosswords
  • coloring books
To freshen up after or during a long flight:
  • travel-sized face wash (I prefer to use a facial spray)
  • travel-sized toothpaste
  • mouthwash
  • toothbrush
  • dental floss
  • mascara (if your into wearing makeup while flying)
  • a headband, hair tie or hat
  • deodorant
Practical stuff:
  • watch- to keep track of the time
  • phone
  • phone charger and converter if necessary 
  • local money in cash for all airports 
  • credit or debit cards (just contact your bank ahead of time so they don't place a freeze on your card!)
  • A change of underwear, socks, and clothes for if you get stuck somewhere 
  • Also anything really expensive, important or fragile should be in your carry on and not with your checked in baggage

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I would really advise everyone to take anti-embolic stockings on a plane as they are really useful! I like to take a good book aswell as an extra outfit in my carry-on as it's a nightmare when luggage goes missing!

    Sarah
    https://everydayconcept.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I definitely agree with you about the compression (anti-embolic) stockings! As a nursing student, I made sure that was the first thing I grabbed lol!

      Delete
  2. I have lack patience when it comes to really long international flights. Thanks for giving importance to things for comfortable sleeping. Investing in a good neck pillow
    and eye masks must. It did help me lot. I think these must haves/must do stuff which will certainly put me at ease during my long flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my post helpful! I agree any item that promotes sleep enhancement is a must! I hope you have a peaceful and wonderful flight!

      Delete